This tag was created by TheBookLife, one of my favourite BookTubers! I love watching her videos, and I also love watching Mean Girls! It’s such an iconic and funny movie!
1. “IT’S PRONOUNCED LIKE CADY”: WHICH FICTIONAL CHARACTER’S NAMES DID YOU GET COMPLETELY WRONG?
I get so many names wrong! Like most people, I have trouble with pronouncing the names of the characters created by Sarah J. Maas!
While I don’t have trouble pronouncing ‘Daenerys Targaryen’, I just can’t spell it correctly! I have to look it up every time.
2. “SHE DOESN’T EVEN GO HERE!”: WHICH CHARACTER WOULD YOU LIKE TO PLACE IN A FICTIONAL WORLD FROM ANOTHER BOOK OR SERIES?
I wouldn’t mind seeing my favourite ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ characters in a less violent environment, like Hogwarts!
3. “ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK!”: REPETITION. REPETITION. WHICH BOOK GAVE YOU DÉJÀ VU OF ANOTHER BOOK WHILST READING IT?
Even though I hadn’t read that many YA fantasies and dystopia’s before reading Red Queen, I thought it was very similar to The Hunger Games. Because it contains a lot of the same tropes as other books, I thought it was predictable.
4. “YOU ALL HAVE GOT TO STOP CALLING EACH OTHER SLUTS AND WHORES. IT JUST MAKES IT OKAY FOR GUYS TO CALL YOU SLUTS AND WHORES.”: WHICH BOOK GAVE YOU THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE OF GIRL POWER FEELS?
Losing It by Cora Carmack (I literally had to search for five minutes because I couldn’t remember the title of this book) is filled with slut shaming and possessiveness. Not only by the female protagonist, but primarily by the male love interest. It worries me that so many people find this behaviour romantic. I hated it and I’m staying away from the New Adult genre since.
I didn’t like how Clary Fray treated Isabelle Lightwood in City of Bones. She instantly disliked her just because she was another girl. I’d like to see more female friendships instead of girls dislike each other without a genuine reason.
5. “YOU GO GLEN COCO!”: NAME A CHARACTER YOU FELT LIKE YOU WANTED TO CHEER ON WHILST READING.
Sansa Stark from A Song of Ice and Fire is one of my favourite characters. Westeros is a very deadly place and I want her to be safe and happy!
To be honest, I feel this way about all the Starks (and Jon Snow)! But, Sansa will always have a special place in my heart.
6. “GET IN LOSER, WE’RE GOING SHOPPING!”: HOW LONG DO YOU TYPICALLY SPEND AT A BOOK SHOP?
Whenever I go to the city, I visit every bookshop, though I rarely buy books there. They’re so much more expensive than online! I check my Amazon wishlist daily and check Book Depository and Wordery weekly .
7. “IT’S NOT MY FAULT YOU’RE LIKE IN LOVE WITH ME OR SOMETHING!”: WHICH CHARACTER WOULD HAVE TO GET OUT A RESTRAINING ORDER ON YOU, IF THEY WERE REAL?
I’d love to be a part of the raven gang! Gansey, Noah, Blue, Ronan and Adam are so cool, I really want to spend time with them.
All of the Harry Potter characters would have to get a restraining order on me as well. I’d want them to tell me all of Hogwarts’ secrets.
8. “I CAN’T HELP IT THAT I’M POPULAR.”: WHICH OVERHYPED BOOK WERE YOU CAUTIOUS ABOUT READING?
Cinder by Marissa Meyer! Everyone and their mothers loves that series, but I’ve heard the first one isn’t as good as the others. It was very predictable, but I’m still excited to continue this series!
9. “SHE’S A LIFE RUINER. SHE RUINS PEOPLES LIVES.”: WE ALL LOVE REGINA GEORGE. NAME A VILLAIN YOU JUST LOVE TO HATE.
While I don’t consider Cersei Lannister a villain myself, I know many do. I’ve really gotten to love her though! I’m very excited to start reading A Feast for Crows, since she’s finally getting her own POV. I know she has done some really bad things, but she mostly did that because she loves her children that much.
And c’mon, how can anyone still dislike her after the season 6 finale? That was epic! While it made me sad, it was an amazing scene. One of the best on the show so far!
10. “I’M NOT LIKE A REGULAR MOM, I’M A COOL MOM.”: YOUR FAVORITE FICTIONAL PARENTS.
Anyone who reads Young Adult often, knows parents don’t live very long! I mean, almost all of the protagonists are orphans these days.
Anyway, the mothers in A Song of Ice and Fire are so fierce. Cersei and Catelyn are who I’d aspire to be, though I hope me and my children would be happier.
Maura Sargent is a Cool Mom though! I love her interactions with Blue in The Raven Cycle. Basically all of the women in that household are amazing.
11. “THAT IS SO FETCH!”: WHICH BOOK OR SERIES WOULD YOU LOVE TO CATCH ON?
This is difficult, since most of the books I read are very hyped. While The Song of Achilles isn’t exactly unpopular, I think even more people should read it!
12. “HOW DO I EVEN BEGIN TO EXPLAIN REGINA GEORGE?”: DESCRIBE YOUR IDEAL CHARACTER TO READ ABOUT.
I prefer female protagonist who are strong, but not (only) physically strong. I want more writers to write girls who cry, like to be feminine and are yet strong; like Sansa Stark and Claire Randall! Most of the time, readers find these girls ‘whiny and annoying’ but I’m getting tired of the Katniss Everdeens and Celaena Sardothiens in the YA genre. There’s nothing wrong with those girls, but they’re everywhere.
13. “I JUST HAVE A LOT OF FEELINGS.”: WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN A BOOK GIVES YOU A BAD CASE OF ‘THE FEELS’?
I love it! Books that make me cry are often my favourites!
14. “NICE WIG JANICE, WHAT’S IT MADE OF?” “YOUR MOM’S CHEST HAIR!”: WHICH CHARACTERS ONE LINERS WOULD YOU LOVE TO CLAIM FOR YOUR OWN?
Harry Potter is so sassy in the books! Hermione as well sometimes and Ron too, of course. I wish I was more like them sometimes.
15. “BOO, YOU WHORE.”: NAME A TIME A CHARACTERS DECISION HAS MADE YOU ROLL YOUR EYES
Juliette in the Shatter Me series had me rolling my eyes, hard. Though it was mostly because of the lack of decisions she’d make! Other characters that had me rolling my eyes are Clary Fray and Cleo (from Falling Kingdoms).
(written in July 2016)