Hello, my fellow book lovers! Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish and moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in 2018. You can have a look at the future topics here! This week we get to choose our own topic, so I decided to share some bookish confessions with you! This was a Top Ten Tuesday topic on August 28th, 2012, when I wasn’t even an avid reader yet! 😮
1. I never read books in my first language, which is Dutch. Primarily because most books are written in English anyway, but also because it just doesn’t appeal to me.
2. I only buy books online. I realise that I should probably support my local bookstores, but their selection of English books is limited and they’re twice as expensive as online!
3. I judge books by their covers *gasp!* Pretty ones can convince me to purchase a book when I’m in doubt and I probably won’t purchase ugly ones, unless they’re really, really popular.
4. When I DNF books, I don’t put them on my read shelf on Goodreads nor do I rate them. It really doesn’t matter to me whether I’m 20 or 75 percent in. That said, I might write a review for it despite not finishing it (though of course I’d mention I DNF it).
5. I only became an avid reader back in 2015. I started reading regularly when I started college, but it took me a while to actually read multiple books a month. Since then, reading has been my most important hobby.
6. This is probably controversial since I graduated as an English teacher, but I don’t enjoy reading classics. The language is definitely a barrier, but I don’t find them very interesting either. Naturally, there are some classics I consider picking up, but not many.
7. I’m terrible at reading other people’s blog posts. I don’t do it regularly and actually have to remind myself to check out the blogs I follow. I know this is absolutely horrible, especially since I feel insecure about my own blog.
8. I tend to hold a grudge. When an author f*cks up on Twitter for example, I usually don’t forgive them (unless they apologise and it’s very sincere). So whenever I see their books, I’m like ‘yikes…’.
9. I have no intention to ever write a book myself. Many of my bookish friends write, but that doesn’t appeal to me.
10. Since June, the vast majority of the books I read are audiobooks. Funnily enough, the amount of physical books I purchase hasn’t decreased.
So these were some bookish confessions about me! Feel free to share some of your confessions in the comments 🙂
Please buy me a coffee if you like my content. I am a Book Depository and Wordery affiliate. If you are interested in buying any books, please purchase from these links. you get free shipping and I get a small commission!